Continuing the themes of lists and judgement, we thought we look back at our top live performances from 2014. Nothing beats donning your favourite gig-wear and hitting up that dank Melbourne bar, that world famous theatre, or those wide festival plains, and having a boogie as your favourite artist gets down as little as an arm’s reach away.
Here at art felicis, we’ve taken on the impossible task of narrowing down our 2014 experiences and picking our top 3 live acts of the year. These are artists that owned the stage and, pardon my French, fucking rocked! If you get a chance to see any of these guys in 2015, you absolutely must.
JANE – Creator & Co-Editor
- Disclosure @ The Forum – These guys can do no wrong and they’re even better live.
- Porter Robinson @ Stereosonic Melbourne – Japanese anime cuteness overload! ! ! !
- DMA’s @ Northcote Social Club – Matt Mason aka Indie Pitbull makes their shows.
ARIANNA – Co-Editor
- Disclosure @ Groovin The Moo – The finale to a deliriously cold day in Bendigo. Flailing about in fleeces to a phenomenal set.
- Dizzee Rascal @ Groovin The Moo – Big dirty stinking bass and a fantastic English accent trying to form circles in the mosh for “Bonkers”. “What kind of circle is that? Fuck that shit… If you ain’t built for it, get the fuck out the way!” Cheers Dizzee.
- The Kite String Tangle @ The Corner – Meeting Danny Harley and having HIM thank us for featuring him on the blahg. What a sweetie!
CAT – Submissions Manager
- Public Opinion Afro Orchestra @ Howler – The best kind of dance fun I have had in forever. So much energy.
- Hiatus Kaiyote @ Hugs and Kisses – Nai Palm’s energy always just brings a smile to everyone’s soul.
- Charles Bradley @ Golden Plains – This guy puts every emotion into every tune and is so thankful for his time on stage. Makes you feel good loving the music of someone that loves his fans so much.
LAURA – Gigs Manager
- Milk Records 10″ Launch @ Northcote Social Club – C-Barnacle pal vibes, family feels in the crowd, dirty rock music.
- Big Freedia @ Howler – SO MUCH TWERK, SO MUCH DANCE, SO MUCH LOVE!
- Marlon Williams @ Meredith – This guy has some fucking chops and serious amounts of SOUL. Morbid song content adds to the appeal.
HUGGETT – Contributor
- Kimbra @ The Hi-Fi – Chaotic elegance and flamboyant intimacy.
- Chvrches @ Laneway Festival – Martin Doherty dancing to Under The Tide.
- Sticky Fingers @ 170 Russell – Bucket hats.
CATH – Contributor
- Andy Bull @ The Corner – Suave charisma with titillating vocals and melodies.
- Kite String Tangle @ Falls Festival – Swaying with a sea of like-minded bodies to Arcadia.
- La Roux @ Falls Festival – Sexy power suit, sexy power songs.
LEO – Contributor
- Queens of the Stone Age/Nine Inch Nails @ Rod Laver Arena – Kings of rock hardening my *bleep*.
- Frenzal Rhomb @ The Corner – Boot to the face, high strength signature Frenzal beer, booyah.
- Buddy Guy @ Byron Bay Bluesfest – Blues from my head down to my shoes.
IMOGEN – Contributor
- Glass Animals @ Field Day – The facade: geeky college boys with instruments. The reality: unexpected awesomeness.
- Vance Joy @ The Metro Sydney – Intimate, country vibes from a dark haired bearded beauty.
- alt-J @ Field Day – In their element, minimal audience contact because they were in the ZONE! Everybody swaying in awe of their music making.
NADIA – Contributor
- Boy & Bear @ Palais Theatre – Dave has the most beautiful voice and they played “Fall at Your Feet”.
- Justin Timberlake @ Etihad Stadium – Seeing my mum fangirl.
- Oscar Key Sung @ NYE on the Hill – My chill, late New Year’s celebration.
CHARLOTTE – Contributor
- King Krule @ La Cigale – This guy is a musical genius, delivers so much intensity on stage.
- Coming Soon @ La Plage du Glazart – People dancing under the rain (Paris summer oy) in a fake sandy beach/bar – what?
- Rodrigo Amarante @Trabendo – Cutest Brassens cover song (my fav old french song) plus so much love emanated from this intimate venue.